Saturday, November 1, 2008

suzy's sense of snow

Those who know me well, know that I have what can only be described as a freaky sense of smell. It is so acute that I can usually smell someone coming up behind me before I can sense them or hear them. This was not a great thing at the stinky dance party last night....but that's another story.

February 14th, 1988:
In Hartford CT an Italian dinner takes up the whole night....none of this Olive Garden "Here's Your Check With Your Entree" attitude. In fact, I had heard a waiter say, "If you have other plans tonight you may not want to eat here. Dining takes 4 hours...to take off if you are in a rush."

Dave took me to the restaurant for Valentines...new driver's license in hand. It was the first time I was able to experience the true odor of a fine Italian melange. The garlic was seeping into my skin before it even hit my fork. I believe when we left, we were intoxicated by the scent.

On the way back to my place Dave asked if I had time for a detour. Of course! We pulled into the golf course near his house, which at that time of the year was a glowing blue field of snow in the moonlight. We trudged out into the middle of this huge open space and sat in the snow.

At that point I realized I could smell Nothing...except for him. The snow had killed any scents coming my way except for the scent of Dave. As we made snow angels and kissed, I realized how connected I felt to him when my strongest sense was crippled and I could focus solely on Dave. He truly was the most bright and shiny way to start my relationship with Romance.

Kisses to you Dave. Feliz Dia De Los Muertos!

1 comment:

Carol said...

The garlic was seeping into my skin before it even hit my fork.
Great description- so vivid. I was left with one question- what did Dave smell like? Did his scent remind you of anything or is there a way you could make the reader know that scent too?