Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My life as an elite jerk!

Today's Topic:
Think back to a word or phrase that you may have misheard as a child.

Hmmmm....

I don't think that I really misheard phrases, largely because language was very clear from my folks and their pack of Rhetoric professor friends.

What I did not understand however were certain social situations and decorum. For instance, my Mother tells this story of when I was 4 and we went to dinner at someone's house. When we sat down at the table, I leaned over to Mom with a look of horror on my face and said,
"Mommy....they gave us PAPER napkins!!!!"

I also remember thinking that it was VERY wrong to not use saucers with your cup....and that everyone polishes the silver at least once a month right?

On the flip side...I never understood families that lived in squalor...hand to mouth...that bought luxury cars or pure-bred dogs. When I moved from CT to TX, high school in Round Rock was the first place I ever saw someone who lived in a trailer carry a $200 purse. It is truly beyond me.

Paper napkins.......the horror!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Dani Dudek said...

As a child, I was shopping with my mother at Marshall Fields in Chicago. To my mother's horror, I picked up a shoe and said quite loudly(b/c I say everything quite loudly), "$200!?"

I would like to go back to feeling that shock and awe over spending so much on shoes...b/c I am now willing to sell my soul for a pair of Diors, Manolos or Jimmy Choos.

Sinclair Fleetwood said...

When I was about 13, I really wanted a Dooney and Bourke purse like the other girls in my 6th grade class. We went to Dillard's to look at them and my mom looked at the saleswoman who had just handed her the most popular model for girls my age. "$250?!?" she shrieked. I was mortified. But now when I am out and want to buy something I shouldn't or can't really afford, or when I hear myself rationalizing putting something ridiculous on my credit card, I remember what she said on the way home... "Honey, you're smarter than that. Some girls may carry around expensive handbags full of paper, but your cheap plastic purse will have $250 in it." Thanks for making me thrifty Mom.