Sunday, January 4, 2009

An evening with Jeffrey

January 04, 2008
Hey, you wanna know what is NOT a good idea when you have been alone, housebound and sick at the Holidays??? Bingo!!! Looking through the "memory box"!!!! Hmmm. Feh.

What I did find that was amusing is what I am going to post below. There was a time when I worry not of money....a time when I moved back in with my folks...at which juncture I used to frequent some fancy dining holes solo. My favorite was Jeffrey's, which is one of Austin's oldest and best fine dining spots, with a scant number of tables in it's dimly lit cave of a house.

One evening when I was noshing there I took notes about my surroundings. Here they are, without editing. Most items are comments of other diners I overheard, which are in quotes....lines not in quotes are my observations.

Dinner at Jeffrey's, June 24th 2002
  • "Is everything on the Menu this evening?"
  • "It's the first 'Wild' Salmon of the season...I don't know if you can handle it!"
  • "For the Women and Their Work's show I am going to wear a red-sequined dinner jacket!"
  • They call their home "The Property"
  • Alabaster candle holders look to be worth the money
  • Under the linens the tables look like the ones at Conan's Pizza
  • I think that what is overheard on the Tube is more interesting than in this restaurant
  • It appears to be such a struggle for the wait staff to be polite. They are so cautious. Can it be possible that the general clientele might be so impolite ass to cause this behavior?
  • Diners are falling into two categories.
  1. The people that are so wealthy that sitting here is nothing to them...a drop in the bucket. They are loud and swearing and friendly to the waiters.
  2. The people who have saved up for the night on the town...asking the price of everything. They are quiet and assume that they have to degrade and boss around the waiters.
  • "You see! He's taken control of you ALREADY!"
  • Solid black pendant fixtures are lovely and moody
  • Petite Caesar Salad, Boquerones, Tuna Tartare with a raw quail egg
  • Porcini Gnocchi with Mozzarella, French Horns, Pecorino and Braised Grapes
  • The all talk about Politicians but not Politics...where their buddy Kay Bailey Hutchinson gets her landscaping guys
  • He is talking about his money as if it makes him virile...yet his cough tells me that he is dying...
  • Lemon Rosemary Creme Brulee

3 comments:

Carol said...

I think all restaurant reviews should include an "overheard at" category. I would make them so much more interesting.

I've always wanted to go to Jeffrey's. I'll even save up for it- but I'd be nice to the waitstaff.

tipsy texter said...

i can just see you sitting there, peeking beneath the linens

Sinclair Fleetwood said...

other people's conversations are always so much weirder than anything you can ever think up. when i realized this i became a fan of the pocket notebook.

did you have the creme brulee?